About Laurier Heights
Laurier Heights Real Estate Listings
|All Listings||$400,000 - $500,000||$500,000 - $600,000|
|$600,000 - $700,000||$700,000 - $800,000||$800,000 - $900,000|
|$900,000 - $1,000,000||Over $1,000,000|
Laurier Heights Real Estate Listings
Laurier Heights is a large community in west Edmonton, tucked within a bend of the North Saskatchewan River. The boundaries of the community are found meandering around 87 Avenue, Buena Vista Road, and 86 Avenue to the north, at 149 Street to the west, Whitemud Drive and the Valley Zoo to the south, and Buena Vista Park in the river valley to the east. The community is named for Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Canada’s seventh Prime Minister (serving 1896-1911). A park to the south of the community, Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park, also bears his name. This park, together with the Valley Zoo and Buena Vista Park, provide ample green space below Laurier Heights near the banks of the North Saskatchewan River.
Development in Laurier Heights progressed slowly, beginning throughout the 1940s and 50s, and continuing in the 60s. Even today, some infill continues to be built, taking advantage of the natural settings offered by the river valley and abundant green space. Laurier Heights homes for sale are almost entirely single-family detached homes, dominating over 75% of the community’s residential property. Besides this, the Canterbury Foundation’s buildings, offering retirement and assisted living in the heart of Laurier Heights, make up the remaining 25% of dwelling units. The population of Laurier Heights is 2,834, and the majority are long-term residents and homeowners, with a typical household income well above the city-wide average.
Laurier Heights’s location allows easy access to many industrial employment areas throughout the west end, the West Edmonton Mall to the west, downtown Edmonton, and many other parts of west and south Edmonton via the nearby Whitemud Drive. Many commercial amenities, besides those at West Edmonton Mall, can be found along 142 and 149 Streets to the north. Here, you’ll find an IGA, Safeway, London Drugs, No Frills, Shoppers Drug Mart, banks, food options, local services, and much more.
Besides the primary feature of the abundant surrounding greenspace offered by the extensive and well-developed river valley frontage, the beautiful views and trails, the Edmonton Valley Zoo is positioned just south of Laurier Heights’ boundary. This zoo is home to around 350 animals and focuses on conservation efforts. Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park, on the bank of the river beyond the zoo, offers picnic sites, ball diamonds, horseshoe pits, a playground, extensive walking trails, and a boat launch. Buena Vista Park, also easily accessible to residents of Laurier Heights, offers a large off-leash area, extensive multi-use trails, and the new Yorath House rental space. Within Laurier Heights, a central park area offers a playground, tennis courts, sports fields, a skating rink, and the Laurier Heights Community League. Other scattered “pocket parks” round out the ample green space found around Laurier Heights.
St. Timothy’s Anglican Church and Laurier Heights Baptist Church are found on 85 Avenue, while the St. Alphonsa Syro-Malabar Catholic Church is located in Parkview, to the north. The only school within Laurier Heights is the central Laurier Heights School, though residents are well-served by nearby schools: Lynnwood School, St. Rose Junior High School, James Gibbons School, Stratford School, and Ecole Notre-Dame.
For more information on the above Laurier Heights real estate listings, to schedule a showing, or to get a free detailed home evaluation, contact Michael Pavone at 780-993-7249.
Listing information last updated on August 21st, 2019 at 2:46pm CDT.